Thursday, June 12, 2014

Things I Love: Two Websites that Have Made an Enormous Difference in my Life

        Yesterday, I mentioned FLYLady.  I love her.  I don't follow her methodically, because her brain works differently than mine.  However, she was the first one who gave me hope for housekeeping.
        I don't remember how I stumbled upon her.  I also don't really know why I continued reading after I realized her starting place was clutter.  Because I am the "throw it away" queen around here.  I despise clutter.  My motto could easily be "when in doubt, throw it out."
        For whatever reason, I kept reading.  And I am so glad I did.  She resonated with me.  I remember crying the first time I read her.
        I, too, am a frustrated perfectionist.  All-or-nothing.  And when I stumbled upon her, I bawled like a baby.  Because she understood.  And I (of course), revamped my schedule around her methods.  Or tried to.  I still did not understand how to turn housework into projects, or that I needed to.  So I failed miserably.  But there were several key things I took from her for which I am grateful beyond words.  Mainly, timers, and habit forming.  If you're unfamiliar with this lady, go to her site.  It's so worth the time you'll spend there.
        The other website that gave me hope (and has caused more than one tearful evening for me) is A Slob Comes Clean.  Nony is AMAZING.  She taught me that laundry can be done in one day, instead of strung out over the whole week.  That revelation clicked something in my brain.  That something lead me to the thought that each day could be a "project."  As I write this, the old song "This is the day we (wash the clothes, bake the bread, etc.)" comes to mind.  (If you're unfamiliar with her, please check her out!  She's incredible.)
        Nony also helped me see the power of "non-negotiables" and writing them down.  I now have them framed in my cabinet.  When I add a new one, I print out a new sheet and replace the old with the new.
        Without these two women, I am pretty sure that I would still be spinning my wheels with housekeeping.  I was failing miserably.  You have NO idea how bad it was.  But these two, with their honesty, humor, and humility, helped me see what could be done.  They encouraged me, and though I'll probably never meet either of them, I'll always be thankful to them for their insight and honesty.

         Today we're planning to go visit friends.  No necessary "reason," just because.  And that's really the best reason, isn't it?
           Plans changed.  We're going to visit different friends, for the most wonderful reason of all!  But that's not my story to share...

No comments:

Post a Comment