Friday, June 13, 2014

Things I Love: Homeschooling

          Day 13 -- I love homeschooling.  And the time when I love it most is summer time.  I know this sounds odd, because, well, school's out!  Even for us.  We don't do year-round school, so we are off.
          I love it because I am with my kids all the time.  Yes, I do get worn out.  Yes, I do have days where I want to be alone.  But here's the thing -- I like who my girls are.  I like who they are becoming.  No, they aren't perfect, they aren't always on their best behavior.  They break things, they disobey, they fight, they have bad attitudes.  They also apologize, cry with me and each other, clean, obey with good attitudes, encourage each other and me, and generally work together.  I get to see generosity, forgiveness, grace, and trust building day by day, moment by moment.  I get to watch them learn.  I am generally the one the Doctor comes running to when she  has read something new that fascinates her.  I am the one Fidget asks to help almost daily.  I am the one the who sees the Cowgirl giving of her money and time and help so generously.  I have the honor of seeing them at their best, as well as their worst.
          Why do I love it most in summer?  It's when all the work pays off!  Because they are a part of my daily routines, summer is a time of relaxation -- for them AND for me.  Without the pressure of "schooling," we can have fun!  We have already done two projects that really wouldn't have met my educational standards for the school year.  We can go to the movies (and eat popcorn for lunch!), or just laze around the house for the day in our PJs and do our nails.  We can get the basics out of the way without a bunch of drama (most days!) because they are used to them.  I don't have to spend the summer teaching (or re-teaching) them how to make a bed or clean their room or wipe down a bathroom or unload the dishwasher or, or, or.  They know that certain things need to happen before we go anywhere, so they don't fight me on that, no matter how much they are looking forward to something.  They know how to amuse themselves if left "to their own devices" so I can get something done.
          Overall, I love homeschooling.  Is it for everyone?  No.  There are plenty of excellent, loving, intentional parents who have made a deliberate decision to put their children in school -- both public and private.  Parents who love their children no less than I love mine.  Parents who are at least as good at this parenting thing as the Engineer and I are (many who are better).  I reject the idea that how you school your children is an indicator of how "good" a parent you are.  For us, it's a great fit.
 
          OK, for loving others.  Today, I grocery shop.  Ugh.  How I loathe grocery shopping.  But, the family must eat, and I must behave like a grown-up.  So it's off to the stores I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment