Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Things I Love: Mondays

          I didn't always love Mondays.  Not that long ago, Mondays were a source of frustration, the beginning of a week of frustrating days.           Before I knew that my mind worked best with projects, I had set my days up all wrong.  My week was structured in the worst possible way for my brain.  I had, with the best of intentions, set myself up for failure.  Week after week.  And it all started with Monday.
          My plan before had been to do a load of laundry each day, and clean one room per day.  That plan might work beautifully for many people.  But not for me.  It made laundry and housework a never-ending drudgery.  I FELT it all the time.  On top of that, I had to dig out of the weekend on Mondays.  I don't do much housework on the weekends.  This is an intentional decision on my part.  I want the weekends to be free for us to do stuff as a family, whether that's here or out and about.  Come Monday, though, I was resentful of the fact that nothing got done all weekend!  (I know, it's insanity!)
          Then we moved.  And something clicked.  Mondays, I set aside for "Reclaiming the house."  Meaning, all we do is straighten the house, put the weekend "back in the box," the way you would a card game once it was over.  It sets us up for success for the rest of the week.  It means that those "room rescues" that FLYLady is so fond of actually maintain the order.  (If you've stumbled on this blog, and are not familiar with FLYLady, go check her out.)
          And so I love Mondays.  I see results over the whole house, and I'm not stressed about "cleaning" yet, as that happens (most) Wednesdays.  I'm still learning, still figuring things out.  But I cannot tell you how much better life is now that I've reworked the schedule to make each day a project.  I can now say that I love Mondays.

          As for loving people today, I'm working on a gift for someone.  I love making gifts for people dear to my heart.  I especially love making practical gifts.  So, this gift is imminently practical, for a very dear friend.  It will take a few days to finish, but I'm only going to write about it today.  Unless I write about it again when I finally give them to my friend. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment