Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday (Day 1)

So, today marks the first day of Lent.

The passage I am focusing on for this time is Philippians 2:1-11.  I had been focusing on Philippians, and then Sunday one of the elders preached from Philippians 2.  The sermon fit with most of what I had been mulling over, and it just all seemed to fit.

So, what idol am I giving up for Lent?  Basically, the idol of "me."  I am going to strive to serve this season.  To serve with excellence.

First of all, I am planning to ask the Engineer what I can do each day to make his day/life better.  Then do it.

Second, I plan to refocus on the girls.  Mostly in relation to school.  I am making some changes in how I do school with the girls, changing science around to make it more accessible to the Cowgirl, while letting the Doctor continue on with her interests.  I already started the older two on Khan Academy for math, and I must say that so far, we love it.  Two weeks in, and the Doctor has done 60% of her grade level; the Cowgirl has done 40%.

Service must begin at home, so this is where I will start.  I will pray for chances to serve, and then do what is in front of me.  One day, one moment, at a time.

So, how did today go?  Well, honestly not too well.  I did spend time in Bible reading and prayer, and did some serving the Engineer.  I forgot to ask my question.  And then forgot to get supper into the crock-pot, so I asked him to bring home supper.  I was short with the girls, and rather distracted today.  Overall, I was not a good servant.

Fortunately, tomorrow is another day, and God's mercies are new every morning.

That is all for now.  I plan to write again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment