Saturday, June 14, 2014

Things I Love: The Right Tool for the Job

          One of the benefits of marriage is what you learn from your spouse.  Today's "love" is something the Engineer taught me early in our marriage.  I love the right tool for the job.  Now, this does not mean I am willing to have 975 gadgets laying around, each one doing only one or two "jobs," particularly in the kitchen or sewing room.  No, the majority of my tools must do double duty, or their function must be worth their limitations (think, vacuum cleaner, mop, duster, etc.)
          Early in our marriage, my husband told me, "A bad tool is worse than no tool."  You know what, he's right!  I have invested in higher quality "gadgets" (and fewer of them), and a very few "specialty" items that fit a unique purpose.  Rarely have I regretted my decision.

          How do I use this to love others?  Well, mainly by not nitpicking the cost of the right tool for my husband.  He knows what he needs, and he's not prone to waste money.  It just isn't in him.  So, I don't balk when the wrench he needs costs two or three times as much for a quality one, or that very specialized tool he needs just for this application that (in his words), "I may only use it once a decade, but when I need it, I will NEED it."

No comments:

Post a Comment