Thursday, June 5, 2014

Things I Love: Books

            Day 5's thing -- books.  I am so very thankful for books.

        There are so many things I want to know.  Yet I don't have time to attend classes on all my interests.  In fact, there's probably not enough years in my lifetime for me to attend all those classes.

        But do you know what I can do?  Read a book.  At least then, I will have an idea of whether or not I am interested in pursuing this further.  I can learn at the feet of people I'll never meet -- some of whom died decades or even centuries before me.

        Whole worlds of imagination open up before me, helping me see things in a new way, or maybe an old way that I had never heard of before.  Ideas to challenge my brain and my complacency spring out of the pages as I sit comfortably at home, or less comfortably in a doctor's waiting room, or mostly uncomfortably in the van as we drive across country to visit.
 

        So I teach my children to read.  I let them see me read in down times.  I buy them books, and request books as gifts from friends and family.  I take them to the library (though not as often as I ought.)  I encourage them to read, to find their interests.

        I also incorporate what I have read into my marriage.  I read books about men in general, and husbands in specific.  I weed through and read books that encourage me to be a better wife, to respect my husband, and to love him.  Not in order to manipulate him (though there was a time I thought that way, much to my shame), but so that I can obey God, and because my husband deserves respect and love from me.  Speaking of which, it's time for me to pick up a marriage book.  I'm overdue for one!

No comments:

Post a Comment