Monday, May 12, 2014

What My Tablecloth Taught Me this Morning


            We are well now, and in process of reclaiming the house.  By "reclaiming the house," I mean making it livable and enjoyable again, not just survivable.  Rooms have been straightened, mountains of laundry folded, kitchen and bathrooms cleaned, trash thrown out, and meals cooked.

            As we were doing all of this, I placed a tablecloth on the table.  And I realized what a difference a tablecloth makes.  Similar to a made bed in a bedroom, a tablecloth makes the whole kitchen/dining/living area look so much more polished.  (Our kitchen and breakfast nook flow into the living room without doors or a full wall.)

            As is the case with me, these become object lessons.  A tablecloth is such a small thing, a detail really.  It's a ten-second or less task that often gets overlooked.  But it finishes the look, adds just that bit of polish to an otherwise "acceptable" area.

            The object lesson part?  Life is like that for me.  There's often one oh-so-small detail I COULD add that would make a world of difference, either to me or to someone else.  It's often something added at the end.  The smile when you say please or thank you, eye contact as you pay for your purchases, calling the waiter or waitress by name in a restaurant, and thanking them verbally when they serve you.  These are all ten-second-or-less tasks that don't actually require any extra from me, and make such a huge difference in my outlook.  Others include putting down what I am doing when my husband gets home and welcoming him cheerfully, looking my children in the eye when they talk to me instead of absently nodding and saying "mmhmmm", accepting their "help" (even from the littlest one) when I could do it so much faster alone.

            These are the "details" of life that add up.  None are difficult, none require much time or energy.  None will change the world, either, just make it a more pleasant place to live for a few minutes.

            Of course, as with all object lessons, the hard part is in the doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment