Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Am I the Left Pinkie Toe?

The Bible calls Christians the Body of Christ.  In one particular passage, Paul lays it out a in detail, talking about the parts, and how they are all important (1 Corinthians 12:14-25).  Based on the context, and to whom the letter is addressed, I believe the Holy Spirit (through Paul) is telling the Corinthians that each of them is important, and vital, and that their contributions all have worth and honor.

But that is not my struggle.  I easily see the value in the contributions of others.  I find richness in the fact that we are not all alike.  I find it shocking when someone belittles the calling of another, or questions their value.  I feel like I've been punched when someone decides that the contributions of another are worthless instead of priceless.

My struggle is the other-way-around.  I struggle to find my own contributions valuable.  I wonder why God did not gift me with Mrs. Smith's giftings, or call me the way He called Mrs. Jones.  I decide "my" contribution, "my" gift, is not worth much.

You know what?  That's pride.  Ugly, selfish, I'm-the-center-of-the-universe pride.  Because when I make those statements, I am denying that God has the right to put His people together as He sees fit.  I forget that I am not the One in charge, and I set myself up as God's judge.  Wow!  It horrifies me just to type that sentence.  But it's what I am doing.

Here's the other reason excuse.  Sometimes it's easier to try to live someone else's calling than my own.  If I see that someone else is succeeding, then it's easy for me to fall into the trap of "let me try that, too."  Because, God doesn't guarantee success.  The test of obedience isn't earthly results.  (Praise Him for that!)  But the thought of "failure", even "failure" when I know I'm obeying, is scary.  Trust requires an ongoing relationship, faith requires trusting and seeing how He carries me through the tough times, even if I can't see the "successes" this side of Heaven.  Sometimes, I want comfort more than I want relationship.  (Another terrifying, but honest, sentence!) 

So, if I'm the left pinkie toe, I need to trust God to glorify Himself through my left-pinkie-toe-ness.  Instead of wishing I were hair, or eyes, or voice, or knees. 

(I'm not really sure I even know what the left pinkie toe DOES for the body, but God gave them to us as standard equipment, so they must do SOMETHING!)

Bottom line is this, I need to fulfill God's calling on MY life, use the gifts He has given me in order to build up His body, do the things He commands in the way He has called and equipped me.  Whatever and however that looks to myself and others.  Because I'm not the Judge (thankfully), He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment