Friday, November 14, 2014

Out to Dinner with the Doctor

Sunday evening, I took the Doctor out to dinner.  She is my "academic" child, the one who learns things so quickly, who I am not so much homeschooling as I am getting out of her way as she rapidly assimilates knowledge at speeds I cannot accurately describe.

And in all of that, I forget how young she is.  I easily forget that she's not even a year and a half older than the Cowgirl.

I forget how fun she can be, how silly and giggly.  I forget sometimes how much a child she is, and SHOULD be.  Because, well, she's still a child, still single-digits old.

So tonight, I let her have caffeine, and too much sugar.  And laughed and giggled with her as the 57 squirrels that run in her brain (normally in the same direction) jumped track and ran in 57 different directions at once.  And incredibly intelligent child hopped up on caffeine and sugar (a VERY rare occurrence in our family!) is a sight to behold!

But fun is what she and I needed most in our relationship right now.  She's often so serious, learning so much, and so quickly, that I think even she forgets to just be a kid.  She has big dreams and plans, but I don't want her to lose sight of NOW, of FUN, and childhood.  And as her mama, it's easy for me to let those things fall through the cracks, because I am a serious person by nature.  I am a goal-setter, a dreamer of big future dreams, too.  And I too, forget how to be fun, how to be here now.  She is so very much my child.  And I am so very thankful she is my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment