Friday, June 27, 2014

Things I Love: Facebook

There's been a lot said about Facebook on various blogs.  Posts about jealousy, and how people make things look "better" than they are, and how studies show links between time spent on FB and depression.  I'm not going to try and refute any of that.  I'm not going to defend it, either.

What I am going to say is this -- I love Facebook.  It keeps me up-to-date on what my cute nieces and nephews are doing; it helps me know how to pray for people that I would never see in person (I live 1500 miles away from where I grew up, remember); it helps me celebrate births, engagements, marriages, graduations, and so forth of those same people and their children. 

It allows me to request prayer from people all over the country, people who never see me in person.  It allows me to tell funny stories and share pictures of my children with people who love them most.  It allows me to publicly thank people for being so amazing, or to share stories of "over and above" service we receive. 

Sure, it can be a breeding ground of negatives.  You know what, though.  That just gives me insight into areas where I need to repent and allow God to work in my life.

FB also provides a place of encouragement.  I can see other parents' struggles.  I can gain insight into not being alone.  I can ask for advice, or just prayer as I struggle.  Mostly, it helps me know that I'm not alone in this, that other people are going through the same thing.

I guess, like most things, FB is what you make of it.  For me, with three youngish children, in my daily homeschooling journey, it's easy for me to hole up and "do my own thing."  FB provides a place of connection and encouragement.


OK, the daily "what I did."  Today, I thanked the parents on FB for sharing their children.  The silly, cute, and funny things.  It was just time that someone did.

No comments:

Post a Comment