Monday, June 16, 2014

Things I Love: the Engineer's Job

My list of 30 things I love is really an exercise in gratitude.  I tend to see the "downside" of everything.  I tend to focus on what's wrong, what I would change, what "makes" me unhappy.  I decided this month to focus on the things that, instead, are the lovely things in my life, the things I am happy are here, the things (and people) I love.

Today, I love my husband's job.  First, I am grateful he has a job.  That's one of those things that really, truly, should not be taken for granted.  Especially right now.  I am also loving the fact that his job (along with lifestyle choices we've made) enables me to be home.  Sure, if I worked, we'd be able to do more, buy more, give more, etc., but we believe my being home is truly the best thing for the family.

I also love how the Engineer's company views family time.  Generally speaking, once he's off, he's off.  Phone calls (a rare occurrence) nearly always begin with, "I'm sorry to bother him and you on his day off, but is the Engineer home?"  It's a lovely thing, that acknowledgement.  In a sentence, it's an admission that they do not own him, that he is a whole person, not simply an employee; that they pay him for the time he's there, not all 24 hours in a day, 7 days a week.  (Yes, there are quite a few companies that do not know the difference!)

So, how do I love with this in mind?  Well, I try not to bother the Engineer while he's at work.  Generally, I keep phone calls to less than 5 minutes total per work week.  Also, I do not gripe at him when he works late.  He's a man of integrity, one driven to complete his job well and thoroughly.  He's also a man who loves his family.  He knows the needs of both, and I trust him to make wise decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment