Monday, April 28, 2014

In Defense of Homemaking

"If God calls him to dig ditches, it would be a step down for him to be the President of the United States."

I don't remember precisely who said it, but I remember hearing it during my childhood.  Evidently, it stuck.

I was reminded of this quote this weekend while at the CAPE-NM annual homeschool convention.  There is nothing like spending two days away from home to convince one of her calling to be a homemaker, and of the value to the family she provides.

In our world, we homemakers are often made fun of or belittled by those who ask questions such as "don't you have any ambition?!" or "that's it?"  or "what do you DO all day?!"  Or, we hear things like "I could never be content to just be home all day" or "I have to contribute to our household!"

To most of these questions/objections/blatant put-downs, many times homemakers give a sickly smile, some kind of half-hearted comment, or feel necessary to defend themselves and their choices (depending on who made the comment in the first place).

But today, I offer a simpler, more basic defense.  If God has called me to full-time homemaking (and I believe He has), then anything else would be a step down.  Let me repeat that, and read it slowly as it sinks in -- anything else would be a step down.  Anything -- owner of a small business, a doctor who cures the incurable, even leader of the free world.

No comments:

Post a Comment